Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jaime's Word of the Day

Tchotchke

tchotchke \CHOCH-kuh\, noun:A trinket; a knickknack.

I have heard and used this word many times. However, I have always spelled it 'chachkie'. I had NO idea of this spelling. This is a spelling bee winner, ladies and gents. Despite being a blogger, I don't often get excited about words - in fact, I don't really EVER get excited about words. However, today has been an exception to the rule! I am going to start using this word ALL THE TIME!

(How did I find out about this correct spelling, you ask? Cosmopolitan magazine, baby! And you thought they were only good for new sex positions....)

5 comments:

Angelique Zobitz said...

I've always loved this word and had an utter fascination with it! Did you know it originated from the Yiddish and originally was a word for mistress? And through usage is now the definition of a cheap, showy trinket? Perfectly wonderful.

Jaime said...

love love love it - a cheap, showy trinket. see also - trophy wife.

Angelique Zobitz said...

perfect!

Unknown said...

Tchotchke is my favorite Yiddish word. I don't think a satisfying English word exists.

Let me teach you a new one: schmata. It means an old icky thing - like some old sweater you want to throw out, or a dirty towel or rag.

Angelique Zobitz said...

nice word! Schmata. has a ring to it!

[Valid Atom 1.0]