Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Joey Tribiani was Right

So I was raised Catholic. As many know, it is Lent right now. Every "Good Catholic" is making some form of sacrifice over this period of 40 days.

I have many many thoughts on this matter. However, there's not enough time in the day/space on this website for all of it. I will say this - to my understanding, it is supposed to be a sacrifice. Highly ironically, every female I know who participates in this sacrifice-making has given up something to the extent of chocolate, sweets, fried food, etc. SOME FORM OF FOOD.

Now, call me cynical (I guarantee you won't be the first...) - I kind of think there's a bit of an ulterior motive on some people's part. As Joey on Friends once said - there's no such thing as a selfless good deed. It's not that it's so wrong to think - hey 'two birds, one stone' - BUT, in a way, this is supposed to be a sacrifice, an inconvenience - NOT that chance to finally kick that extra ten pounds.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with people giving up, say, chocolate. I understand that even though it might benefit oneself, it is still quite a sacrifice for some and the whole aspect of saying no to cravings is ever-present. However, seeing there isn't a vast 'chocolate shortage' - i am wondering - who, other than oneself, benefits from said sacrifice? Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing this, I'm just questioning if there's actually anything right with it either.

So, I guess I wonder, if one is sacrificing and no one is benefiting - is this the same idea as a tree falling in the woods? Is this tradition relevant in today's society? What is the benefit of said practice, other than 'following tradition'? Either one is giving something up for Lent to benefit oneself (which is selfish, and not the point of the holiday) or one is giving something up to benefit no one (which, perhaps, is pointless).

No comments:

[Valid Atom 1.0]