So, recently, as most of my readers know - I tried online dating. My headline was 'If this doesn't work out well, at least it will serve as material for my blog'.
Here we go now.
First off, I did one of the more popular, more well-known sites. For legal purposes, I will not name said site. I am sure my very intelligent readers can make assumptions. Anyhow.
Here are some thoughts:
-I felt like I kept seeing the same people/profiles whenever I ran a search. I really didn't put too much into the filter. I said 24-40, never married, no children, within 10 miles of my zip code. I would think, with the popularity of this website, this would lend lots of options. Again, I can't give you an exact number on how many profiles came up, but I felt the same ones kept resurfacing. Maybe it was mind over matter, but others I spoke with have listed a similar complaint. Also, I know one of my male coworkers is part of the site. He falls directly into the demographic I set - I find it interesting he has never shown up in my searches.
-There was a period of time in which I wasn't an actual member, but had a profile, could wink for free, but couldn't actually speak with someone who emailed me. I imagine this greatly confuses people - for there is no real way to differentiate if you're attempting to contact someone on a free trial or an actual paying member. It's hard to say if one is being ignored/snubbed/what have you.
-I am not sure what puts one's profile in a more high-traffic area, etc. However, I believe it in some way correlates with how often a person logs in. HOWEVER. Right now, I quit. I wrote my reason for quitting being that I am not ready for this right now, but maybe again soon. I am constantly getting wink/email/'he chose you' notifications (which imply my profile is getting a good amount of traffic). So, my thinking is the people who aren't actual members are in a higher traffic area for the sake of enticing them to join (someone emailed you!!! join now!!).
-I kept getting interests from men who did not fit my requirements (I realize this is no fault of the site) - however, annoying. Divorced 50-something dad in Plainfield! Did you not read my profile and what I am seeking (or, more specifically, NOT seeking?)
-That, and I wonder what is best if there is a non-reciprocated interest. 'No thanks', or a complete and total ignore? I realize this also a 'dating in general issue' moreso than this website's issue.
-Also (again, not limited to the site) there is the whole issue of if the person you are speaking with is also speaking to multiple people/dating multiple people/still remaining a member of the site whilst hanging out with you. Sigh.
-Another confusion (and I realize this makes for a 'men' complaint/confusion) is what is protocol with men and dating. Traditionally, it is the man's job to ask for a date, suggest the date plan, contact for a second, third, etc., date. Does that keep with this site's protocol? Most of my male friends who have tried dating sites will state that they are not always comfortable with meeting women/asking them out (and that is their reason for trying said site), so I find it very hard to read men's 'signals' on this. I feel so much can be inferred from an email/the amount of time between responses/etc.
Anyhow. In short, this site, and the concept of dating websites, frustrated me, so I quit. I do not like the concept, but it's less that I don't like the concept for myself and moreso that I don't like their concept as a part of society (because 'everyone's doing it' - or at least every single person, so no one's making an effort in more traditional ways). Maybe that just makes me like one of those people boycotting facebook. I dunno. Anyhow.
I'll probably return to the site in a month or so, simply out of boredom. Update/more complaints to come.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
It Starts with a Wink.
Labels:
Complaints,
Dating and Relationships,
Men,
Men and Women,
Online Dating,
Winks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment