So, observation: two of my female blogging buddies have gone out of their way in their blogs to point out that they ARE NOT feminists. On the same note, I've noticed more and more women regularly publicly proclaiming their outright dislike for feminists. Now, I can understand if one personally doesn't identify with the feminist movement or that one wouldn't self describe as a feminist. However, it seems as though there's some dirty perception of feminists.
Now, I AM a feminist. I try not to impose my feminism on others (sometimes).
However, it frustrates me at the notion that there's something dirty about being a feminist - as if I protest showering and let all forms of hair grow out of control (I don't). Or, that maybe I am a feminist by default as a defense mechanism because no man would want me (I don't perceive myself this way). Or, that I'm a man-hater (women annoy me equally as much).
I think what annoys me is that there is some notion that women shouldn't be feminists because men don't like feminists. This is probably true for a select group of men. For me, if a man doesn't like girls who are feminists, it's kind of like if he doesn't like girls with brown hair - he's clearly then the wrong guy for me.
So I'll end this with an open-ended question: what is the reason for distancing oneself from feminism?

![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
4 comments:
Jaime, very interesting question. I think that feminism has gotten a bad rap from the actions of a just an outspoken few, skewed history, and it's general infrequency in showing up in popular culture today. This has a distinct similarity to Christians and people wanting to distance them from the church or faith for various reasons.
Perhaps you want to expand a little bit on what feminism is, what it isn't, and why you're proud to be a feminist? I think that'd go a long way.
Keep on blogging, you're doing great!
I totally agree with you, Jaime! When I think of a feminist, I think of Jesse Spano--the annoying chick that goes out of her way to be difficult and every two seconds calls A.C. Slater a pig...since I can't stand her, I've been against feminists, but probably for all the wrong reasons. Maybe I really AM one; they've just been portrayed in the wrong light that I just won't admit to it. Who knows?! The one thing I DO know is that you're on to something...
p.s. will you go to settings and change the time zone to Central time?? I like to know the exact minute you post.
do feminist sell blow-pops? If so, count me in as one!
Post a Comment