Sunday, May 18, 2008

Observation

So I have two gripes with Starbucks lately:

1) They don't have free wireless internet. You have to pay like $5 to log on. I just paid $4 for a coffee - seriously now, this SHOULD be complimentary....

2) I've noticed this next issue at multiple locations. It doesn't happen during 'rush hour' per se, but if you meander down for a coffee during the lunch hour or at random times throughout the day.... The employees try to make idle chit chat with you. Tonight I was at my local store getting a hot chocolate and the guy behind the register asks me 'so how is that Glamour magazine?' Grr. He's a man - do I believe for one second he has ANY interest in how Glamour magazine is? (Maybe if it was Cosmo, it'd be a different story.) I've also noticed a lot of superficial compliments (love the earrings, etc.). When did Starbucks become Mary Kay, and when can we have Starbucks back? I can only assume this is a push from the top - some bigwig wants the store to have more of a friendly/outgoing/family/'we care' kind of feel. Let me just say this: I DON'T LIKE IT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe it came from the "powers ..." They want the baristas to schmooze w/the customers. When these employees leave Starbucks, they'll be welcomed w/open arms at trader joe's.

Tom said...

Hi Jaime,

I know I'm commenting on this about a month and a half after you posted it, but if you're still looking for a place with WiFi, I thought I'd give my recommendation.

I like to go to Panera Breads near me. The ones around me are always clean and often offer fairly private spots to sit. The internet is free and very reliable. And the added bonus - you get free, unlimited refills on all regular coffees, soft drinks, and regular iced tea. I've spent many a long evening there working on papers.

I'm not sure if there's one conveniently located up by you in Wrigleyville; last time I was up that way, I do remember seeing one somewhere on Clark St. It's a decent place, as long as it isn't too busy.

[Valid Atom 1.0]