So several of my good friends are doing the 'breast cancer three day walk'. They are 'training' by walking around ten miles a pop on a regular basis (which, although I do understand - there's something hilarious about 'practicing walking'). Anyhow, here are my thoughts - great cause, great that they're raising money for it - however - they're doing this additional extensive procedure: buying plane tickets to Boston, months of training, three days walking 60 miles, when....
Does it really matter?
Not the fundraising itself - the process of walking 60 miles. Or, for that matter - all of these 'activity-a-thons' for a cause. Can't these people just walk around raise the money and forgo the walking (or whatever it might be) process?
I think what amuses me the most is that, in this act and spirit of charity, there seems to be a bit of an implication of sadistic qualities. Somehow, the notion of my friends going this extra mile (pardon the pun) and putting themselves through physical agony is going to get people more excited and think "yeah, this is something I'd give money to see happen!"

![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
1 comment:
Jaime, make great observations. I couldn't help but posting and replying to this post. I asked some questions, maybe you can dig up a little research on this?
Post a Comment