
So here we have Amy Winehouse, who, at age 24 (around 5 months younger than me), has really hit it big with multiple grammy awards and chart-topping singles in the past year and a half.
She also appears to have hit rock bottom (although it doesn't seem as though she's admitting it to herself) with emphysema, an eating disorder, an incarcerated husband, and there are many speculations of multiple major drug addictions.
I can't say I'm a particular fan of hers, so it's not as though I can say she's incredibly 'talented', I will say she really seems to be in a great place for a young aspiring singer; many would give their eye-teeth to have her opportunities right now. (Not that whether or not someone has talent ro success makes one's life any more or less valuable.) Although, it appears as though she's willingly letting her life go down the drain by not getting help. Many question if she'll even be alive in two years if she doesn't turn things around.
I'd say the silver lining to these circumstances is others in similar places can learn from her mistakes and not make them themselves...but wait...does this story sound somewhat familiar? Janis Joplin, anyone?
Although their life stories are not identical - how many relatively young talented musicians and/or actors have cut their lives short because of something related to illegal drugs, alcohol, or prescription medication?
Here's a short list, courtesy of Wikipedia: John Belushi, Chris Farley, Heath Ledger, Brad Renfro, River Phoenix, Jim Morrison, Anna Nicole Smith, Freddie Prinze, Jimi Hendrix....the list goes on and on.
It brings to mind one quote: Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. (Douglas Adams)

![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment