Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just a Question....



Why is this sport so popular? Now, this has nothing to do with being bitter about the Bears' loss. I'm not a huge football enthusiast to begin with. I realize my sports of choice, figure skating and gymnastics, don't quite hold the interest of the general public (this would be a whole other story if we were in China, Japan, or Russia right now).

Anyhow. What has made football America's sport of choice? (Even though, supposedly, baseball is America's favorite pastime.) Is it the violence? The complicated rules? Someone please enlighten me.

1 comment:

That's Not My Name said...

I LOVE football. It has a complicated elegance. The more you watch, the more you discover that every play has a design to it, even if it just looks like people piling up on each other.When you see the receivers run their routes, and then the ball just sails into their hands, it's like magic. And when someone is running the ball, it seems insane that they're going to try to break through the defensive line. Yet somehow, they do it. I am amazed by football and I never get tired of the variety.
While figure skating is pretty, I have issues with sports that rely completely on a subjective judging system. It is graceful, it certainly takes skill, but there is too much weirdness going on with the judges. It is not impartial at all. Besides, who said figure skating wasn't violent? Remember Nancy Kerrigan?? Hahaha.
And gymnastics, well, I just have issues with little girls giving up their childhoods for a chance at (very fleeting) success. I don't like that the best figure skaters and best gymnasts are younger than 18 years old. It seems wrong, somehow, and unfair that a woman's career is over before it even began.
No, it is not the 'violence' of football that appeals to me. It's a competitive and dynamic game that represents the spirit of competition in its purest form. And that is that!

[Valid Atom 1.0]