Sunday, June 26, 2011

Half Full or Half Empty?


So the other night, on one of my most recent dating excursions, I was at an upscale sushi restaurant downtown.  I went to order a glass of wine - a $10 glass of wine, if you will.

They brought it to me in a very large wine glass.  It looked as though there was 1 inch deep of liquid in said glass.  This did not seem adequate to me for a 'glass of wine' (please don't try to send me to AA).  

I commented on this to my date.  He agreed that the height of it didn't seem that great, but to consider the width.  I worried that this line came too easily to him.

Now, at the end of the day, I'm going to give said restaurant the benefit of the doubt that they gave me a full glass of wine and that this was just an optical illusion (my date treated so I'm not gonna lose sleep over this).  However, is this a good idea on restaurant's parts?  Shouldn't they be buying small wine glasses, where it actually might look like the patrons are getting a full glass?  Maybe the small glasses would create a better optical illusion?  Or, is there something hoity-toity about large wine glasses and that's why expensive restaurants choose them?   Which kind of wine glasses do you prefer?  Which kind should I buy for my apartment?  Your thoughts?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I think there are advantages of each. Small glasses are good for the reason you noted, and also because they take up leass room in your cupboard and are less prone to breaking. Large glasses can allow more room for the following maneuvers (which may or may not be important to you)
1) swirling
2) observing "legs"
3) putting your nose in the glass
4) I'm sure there are others

Personally, I do not need to maneuver my wine in order to enjoy it. I would prefer smaller glasses, although the ones I have are huge because that's the only size meijer had when I shopped. Good luck on your decision.

That's Not My Name said...

I believe the large glasses have to do with how one tastes the wine, and how the wine 'aerates' as Laura explained. If you go to wine tasting, you'll notice that they always give you a large glass in which to observe the qualities of the wine. Also, I am guessing that you had red wine. They don't normally do that for white wines, from what I remember.

That's Not My Name said...

Just wanted to add that wine, liquor, and certain kinds of beers all have different types of glasses in which they should ideally be served. Champagne flutes are always narrow, brandy should be in a wide glass with a short stem, etc.

[Valid Atom 1.0]