Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Salary Requirements For Dating

So, as my readers know, I occasionally do some online dating.  Yadda.

I am currently a member with an active profile of, ahem, two major sites, however, I have hardly been active lately.  Yawn.  I hate dating.

Anyhow.  I was browsing through some older 'gentlemen' (not sugar daddies, keep your mind in a good place) - older than me, if you will.  Let's say the 35-40ish range.

I noticed a recurring pattern.  On one of the websites, men can check off boxes preferring certain salary ranges (women can too).  In my experience viewing profiles of these 'older' gentlemen (who probably wouldn't enjoy such a label) - often times they put a minimum salary requirement.

This begs a lot of questions.  As usual.  Do women often put a salary requirement?  How do men perceive it when women do?  Is there a difference here between the genders?  When men say they only want a woman who is 'slim and slender', it rubs me the wrong way on behalf of women, if you will.  I would think men might see it the same way when women post that they need 100k+.  In online dating profiles, are women wise enough to not 'show their cards' on this one?

I am not sure I really care much either way about men expressing this requirement.  I can understand that maybe these men are advanced in their careers and either a) want someone else who is invested in her career or b) are used to living a certain lifestyle of traveling and going out and want someone who can keep up with it or c) don't want to have to support someone financially and want to be up front about it, and ultimately, this salary minimum is their way of conveying that in their profile.  However, I must say, I saw at least several profiles that set the bar pretty high.  I consider myself a financially independent adult who lives a good quality of life, and, well, I would have been 'weeded out' by their minimum.

What are your thoughts re:online dating and being upfront about a salary minimum?  Should one be upfront about his or her preferences?  Are men of all ages concerned about their future mates' salary, or is it more specific to the 35+ crowd?  Has anyone else noticed this trend?



No comments:

[Valid Atom 1.0]