So, there was an article in the, ahem, other paper - it was an excellent piece entitled something like "Why Can't Carrie Think Big?" In short, it addressed that fact that many people comment on Carrie Bradshaw (SJP) dating a man (Chris Noth) who might be 'out of her league' per societal standards. I've heard criticisms of the Carrie/Big relationship from women moreso than men (most likely because more women are familiar with SATC). Here's my beef though - we VERY often see and seem to accept the beautiful girl paired with the average joe guy - Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen in Knocked Up, Heather Graham and Mike Myers in Austin Powers, Christie Brinkley and Billy Joel in real life, etc. However, we RARELY see the reverse. I honestly can't even think of another example other than Carrie and Big.
Why is that?
Whenever there's the latter mismatch, there's always the whole 'oh, he's really funny' (Sidenote: funny is ALWAYS the first quality society seems to think women want in their man - if this is true, why aren't we all dating clowns or stand-up comedians??!). Or, if not funny, it's assumed that the man has some other attractive quality, such as intelligence, successfulness, or kindness.
However, Carrie Bradshaw is witty and independently successful - she should get the same absolution less than perfect looking men get, no? Why is it assumed that men will pick their romantic partners solely on superficial qualities, yet women are expected to look at the big picture?
On a similar note, I remember, a couple years ago, one of the networks had a dating reality show called "Average Joe", in which a bunch of moderately-attractive-at-best men were vying for the hand of an attractive woman. I didn't watch this show, but from the few commercials I saw, it didn't appear as though this leading lady was going to win Miss Congeniality any time soon. So, what was their reason for pursuing her (aside from the fact that it was a reality show and there was probably some financial prize they were pursuing as well)??
I find the whole situation ironic - it was fine for these men to apply superficial standards when picking a mate, but this woman was urged to look beneath the surface. On the same note, I do not remember there ever being an 'Average Jane' counterpart to this show. Why is it that a woman dating a less than perfect man is widely embraced, but a man with a less than perfect woman is generally non-existent - at least in Hollywood?
It seems as though the double-standard is alive in well in the eyes and minds of both men and women. Do we still see a woman's primary role in a relationship to be 'sitting pretty'? Why can't we accept the idea of a man being attracted to wit, ambition, or a kind soul over appearance? Are looks really THAT important to men?
I honestly don't know if I think men are more superficial than women on the whole - a faithful part of me wants to think they are not. However, why do we struggle with the idea of the hot guy with an average girl, but the pairing of the hot girl and average guy is a duo of heroes?
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
1 comment:
excuse me, i AM dating a clown!!!
Post a Comment