
I went to church!
It's the first time in a long time that wasn't Christmas or Easter. Anyhow. I won't get into it. I hate it when people try to impose their religious beliefs on others. I also hate it equally as much when people try to impose their lack thereof on others.
So, long story short - I happened to be walking by the local Catholic church and remembered there was a mass that had started 15 minutes prior. Well, I was late, but let's be frank - the Catholic church really can't be choosy about its attendants. When I walked in, I felt a little out of place, like the person who has to be escorted in late into the theatre - but then I saw a toddler running around in the middle of the place and I figured he was causing more of a ruckus than I was and he was still perceived as welcome, or so it seemed, so I must be in the clear.
Anyway. The main reason I went was to light a candle - I never have officially lit a Catholic church candle, but I've always been curious. It took me a little while to find the candles, but, for some reason, at this local church, the candles were not actually candles but lightbulbs with mini 'on/off' switches (possibly they saw the toddler coming). Sure, I felt a little ripped off, but something about this church (St. Andrew's on Paulina in Lakeview) had a very real, sincere, simple, unpretentious, comfortable feeling to it, so I let it slide.
Anyhow, I'm not sure if I got what I was supposed to or what I was looking for out of the mass, but there's a couple lights on in my name there.
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
7 comments:
Went to that church once for a cousin's wedding. It does have a comfortable feeling to it.
One of the reasons I like Catholic churches, despite my not being Catholic. You should go to Europe-they have real candles there!
It is so weird having fake candles in a church. I feel like my prayer request has no chance. :)
You should've taken me with you!! I was even looking up afternoon services, but couldn't find anything...or anything close by. Then found one downtown (st.patricks) that started at 5pm, but then forgot to go. Kat and I were in the dollar store when clock struck 5...and our car turned into a pumpkin...became undrivable. But seriously, I'm FOR SURE going next Sunday...and I'm praying for a Twins victory since I'll be going to the Twins/Cubs game right after!
I will be going to church on Saturday so, hopefully, my prayers for a Cubbie victory will be heard before yours :)
Why do you hate when people try to impose their religious beliefs on others or lack of belief?
Is this the same sort of disdain as someone trying to have you switch political parties, or is it something different?
Do reply, I'm quite curious!
Why do I hate people trying to impose their religious beliefs or lack thereof on others?
Hmm. Perhaps it is quite similiar to politics - however, I do feel, polticially, no matter which side a person is on, there is something a little more concrete to debate (although one could probably argue me on this), whereas religion has more or a leap of faith and personal experience component to it. However, both religion and politics are notoriously taboo subjects for discussion.
Honestly, I don't mind people expressing their own personal opinions or beliefs on religion at all, it's more when it comes to the trying to impose them upon others that I get a little irked. Almost every organized religion has some 'it is your duty as a follower to try to bring others to this truth' component to it, which I am not a fan of, personally. Oddly enough, SOME of the atheists/agnostics I've met have been notoriously the worst at trying to impose their personal view of the truth on others, which is funny because it's not as though either of these groups started with an organization with a mission statement, but rather, are defined by a lack of religious belief/organization.
Anyhow, I guess for me personally....I just don't like to talk about it. What irritates me, maybe, isn't the subject of religion in and of itself, but the fact that it's one of those subjects that's just sometimes difficult to get people to drop. So I find it best not to bring it up at all. Because it's easy to slam the door in the face of, say, the Chicago Dianetics Society, but when it's a friend/family member/acquaintance/coworker/etc., it's kind of frustrating when I make it politely clear that I am not interested in the subject and he or she won't give up - it usually ends in some awkward angry fight or someone feeling disrespected. (Not that I'm necessarily saying that I don't want to discuss this now, Matt, because you raised an interesting question, and for me, that's what this blog is really all about.)
Post a Comment