Monday, October 27, 2008

Facebook Pet Peeves

The first in what I am sure will turn out to be a series of rants.  Today I will focus mostly on facebook photo pet peeves.

1)  "Couples" pictures.  Ugh.  It's supposed to be a picture of YOU, the owner of the profile.   Don't get me wrong, it's not to begrudge one of his or her happy couple status - one is more than welcome to tell the world he or she is in a happy relationship in the 'relationship status' and even the 'about me' section.  But seriously.  (I guess maybe someone like me, with a unisex name, can see greater potential problems.)  Also, not to mention the 'gag me with a shovel' effect couples pictures have - which is undeniably present.

2)  Baby pictures.  Now, don't get me wrong.  You sure were cute as a kid.  Well, maybe.  At least, you may have been cuter as a kid than you are now.  I feel for you.  Really, I do.  However, what started out one person's cute little idea spread like gossip through a high school locker room - EVERYONE is suddenly doing it.  That, and let's be honest - no one is all that awed by how cute of a kid you were, sans your parents.  And they probably (hopefully) aren't looking at your facebook page.  And the general facebook community probably just looks and thinks 'hey, it's you when you were younger'.   

3)  Glamour shots.  SERIOUSLY.  It's supposed to be a reasonably accurate picture of you.  What good does it do to feature an overly photoshopped/angled/misleading picture of yourself?   Even if it's going to lead you to meeting the man/woman of your dreams, he or she is going to see you in real life (presumably) at some point.   

4)  Political jokes/sports cartoons/etc.  Not that there's anything seriously wrong with this - there are just other places for it.   The section for a photo of you is supposed to be exactly that.

To be continued....

2 comments:

That's Not My Name said...

I don't really care if people put baby pictures. I've done it myself, and I find it amusing to see pics of people that I know well. I also don't mind couples pictures. I know that when I get married or whatever, I am going to post a picture for sure. Granted, it's kind of lame to post couples pics if you've just started dating someone, but I wouldn't call it a peeve.
The thing that bothers me is all the crap that people put on their pages...."green patches" "growing gifts" "Entourage" sports teams, etc...I HATE additional apps. I hate having to scroll for several seconds to see a complete profile. I hate when apps have Flash or feature photos that take up lots of download time. It makes the page look like MySpace, and I hate myspace. I discontinued my MySpace over a year ago, and I must say, I have been much happier. But I hate to see the "myspac-ization" of Facebook. Hate it.

That's Not My Name said...

PS, not sure if I said HATE enough, so here's another one.

[Valid Atom 1.0]