What is the opposite of optimism? Is it pessimism? Per the dictionary, perhaps. However, does anyone actually consider him or herself a pessimist? Probably not admittedly. Hmm. What would be the next thing over from a pessimist? A cynic!?!? Does anyone see where I'm going with this one?
Although I am ALL for cynicism, perhaps there should be a bit of limit on it. I like to consider myself not negative but realistic (but isn't that what all pessimists say? 'I'm just being realistic'). I think reality is important because it is persistent whether or not people choose to acknowledge it.
Also, one shouldn't be unrealistically positive and flowery at a time when perhaps someone needs to acknowledge how bad things are so he or she can take action (there's a reason admitting you have a problem is considered step one on the road to recovery, whereas overoptimistic denial is nowhere on that last). Also, I think at times cynicism protects us all - it causes us to take that extra step in questioning the intentions of others and the possible negative outcome of a situation. However, lately, have I crossed the line into the territory of a negative, angry person?
You don't have to answer that. In fact, please don't.
Now, I certainly can't be one of those optimists who pretends every thing's all right when it's not - I have known one too many people like this in my life and they drive me absolutely nuts. I like to think blissful ignorance and optimism are two separate things.
However, maybe I do need to be a little more optimistic and hopeful. This might be a challenge for me, but let's consider this my latest resolution....
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
3 comments:
My favorite word is "perspective." I can be both the happy one in denial or the cynic. When I get like either I try to put it in perspecitve of say my favorite third world country. This doesn't mean that we should settle either. It is like the serenity prayer (if we are staying on the recover program analogy :) Grant me the courage to change the things I can, to accept the things I can't and the wisdom to know the difference. Just my thoughts. :)
I think you're still secretly stuck on "the secret."
I dunno, I think realism is a viable option. It means that you don't expect the best, but you don't expect the worst either. You expect what seems reasonable. In some cases, that may be an awesome thing. In other cases, not so much. At least, that's what I think. Maybe I have low self esteem, but I always have the sneaking idea in the back of my head that everything is liable to fall apart at any second, so I have to be ready. Or maybe that's just the financial crisis talking! I don't see anything wrong with your attitude though. Maybe we're similar? Hehe
Post a Comment