Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Whatever Happened to These Guys?




Matchbox Twenty.

Ok, so background - on this 'spring break', I've been cleaning out some old stuff and I've come across some high school pictures/memories. I then decided to resort to music that reminded me of said time to appropriately set the mood.

So, Matchbox Twenty was one of my favorite bands back in high school. It seemed like they had staying power, too. Of course, my dad was all like 'you young people's music can't stand the test of time, these bands will be gone in a couple years, you whippersnappers, etc.' But I really thought Matchbox Twenty would rise above that. I mean, they went through the evolution/maturation of changing the title from Matchbox 20 to Matchbox Twenty. It seemed like they had a future.

Are they still around? I know Rob Thomas (the former(?) lead singer) has made a couple attempts at a solo career. Are they officially broken up? Does anyone out there who reads this blog still care about them? I suppose I could answer these questions on my own with a simple google search, but I was just wondering if anyone out there is still following them. Did anyone else like them like I did? Did a couple unfortunate choices in album cover art do them in?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Matchbox 20!! The song "Hang" on their first album is the driving force behind me learning how to play guitar. Speaking of where are they nows from that period, what happened to Third Eye Blind? The Verve? Do you remember Semisonic? My class was going to make their song "Closing Time" THE OFFICIAL CLASS SONG of the Class of 2000, but my friend, the biggest lush in the class, said it was about drinking and she didn't want to be remembered that way. She convinced the rest of the sheep of this and they voted for the song to be "End of the Road" That's right we ushered in the new millennium by time traveling back to 1992. Real original, the most used class song in the history of class songs. It’s so obvious and cheesy!!! Do you remember a group called the Presidents of the United States of America and their songs "Lump" and "Peaches"? Classic. What happened to Weezer? No Doubt? Live? Smashing Pumpkins? Garbage? The Cardigans? The Mighty Mighty Bosstones? The Gin Blossoms? (I love The Gin Blossoms by the way) Tonic? Cake? Chumbawamba? Please please please tell me you remember Chumbawumba!!! LOL "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down" New Radicals? Marcy Playground? Cherry Poppin' Daddies? Fatboy Slim? Eagle Eye Cherry? Macy Gray? Okay, this could go on for weeks. I'm done.

emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

Matchbox 20 released an album like a year ago, and Rob Thomas is about to release his second solo album. Apparently you haven't been listening to Eric&Kathy enough...

Anonymous said...

Both Rob Thomas and matchbox 20 are still going strong. The band's lead off single "Let's See How Far We've Come" was a big hit and used about a billion times during the election, on tv promos, Nascar, basketball games, etc. Were you living under a rock that last year? Rob's new solo single just hit the airwaves and his second CD comes out this summer. Friends who've heard parts of it say it is even better than his last one, which I thought was great. Time to catch up, dude!

[Valid Atom 1.0]