Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Response to Honesty....

So my good friend, Matt, being the always opinionated and also very honest individual that he is, made some interesting points in the comments section of 'honesty':

When someone asks, "What do you think of my boyfriend, honestly?" are they really asking your opinion, or are they asking you to reinforce their choice?


Option B.  100%.  It's like 'does this dress make me look fat'.  There's only one answer to the question that involves not getting punched.  Regardless, every friend I have will still, quite regularly, ask me the aforementioned question.  


...if you are not open to people evaluating your own situations, then it’s probably going to be very hard to expect to have clout in other people’s situations. 


Ok, Matt, you got me.  I am the queen of dishing it out/not being able to take it.  Actually, that's not fully true. I like to think that when I don't want someone's opinion, I don't ask, because I accept that it might not be good and I'm choosing to do what I'm choosing to do, regardless of his/her opinion.  And I try not to give my opinion unless I'm asked, or I try my best to be tactful when doing so, and only do it out of concern.  Should people be more honest with me?  What are some things others think about me that they don't say?  Do I actually want to hear the answer to this?  Hmm.  

1 comment:

That's Not My Name said...

I can't recall a situation that would require me not being honest with you, honestly.

[Valid Atom 1.0]