Sunday, May 29, 2011

People Who Make Things Even.


So the other day, I had a nice catch-up dinner with a good friend.  At the end, the bill came.  We both put it on our credit cards.  My friend tipped something to the extent of $5.43 - so it came to a nice, even $23 (or something like that).

I remember waiting tables at Chili's for about 4 years (I still have "I-forgot-to-bring-the-fajitas" nightmares, but that's a complete and total tangent).    I can tell you this is a very common practice.

My question - WHY?  I could see it making sense with cash - leaving the change and all.  But it's on a credit card.  We, as people, don't go to Target or Jewel and think 'Oh, today, I'm going to spend exactly $48'.  This won't make one's final statement balance even.  Heck, it might even throw off the final statement balance from being even.  Yet so many people continue to do this....  Why?

3 comments:

marek said...

I usually leave the tip line blank, and then just write in a total, which is a round dollar amount. This certainly creates the $5.43 tip scenario you describe, but means I don't have to do the mental math of "add 7, carry the 1, etc" each time

Jaime said...

Should anyone here be alarmed that an accountant is intimidated by basic mental math?

marek said...

Intimidated? No.
Lazy? Yes.

I do enough number crunching at work.

[Valid Atom 1.0]