So, as a lot of my loyal readers know, my high school reunion came and went this past weekend. I stopped by.
A cliffnotes version:
I saw a guy I was acquainted with - we had several mutual friends, but never really knew each other too well. Let's call him Tom, well, cause that's his name. We started the usual casual banter.
J: What are you up to these days?
T: I work in x field, at x company. I live in Chicago with my fiance.
J: When is your wedding?
T: Next weekend.
J: How long have you and your fiance been together?
T: A little over two years.
J: How did you two meet?
T: On the metra. She and I were sitting across from each other. I randomly struck up a conversation with her. It was the one day I was randomly taking the metra.
Ok, let's assume he's 100% telling the truth and this isn't a cute cover story for eharmony. I was just, in my mind, wondering if people met like this any more. I felt like 5-10 years ago, maybe, people pushed themselves to meet speak to strangers this way because it was one of the only ways to meet new people. However, with the existence of the internet, I wonder if people no longer stepped out of comfort zone in such a way. I suppose I must say, thank you, Tom, for answering this question.
Does anyone out there sometimes strike up a conversation with an attractive stranger? Does anyone else have a 'how we met' story like this that has taken place in the past three years?
A cliffnotes version:
I saw a guy I was acquainted with - we had several mutual friends, but never really knew each other too well. Let's call him Tom, well, cause that's his name. We started the usual casual banter.
J: What are you up to these days?
T: I work in x field, at x company. I live in Chicago with my fiance.
J: When is your wedding?
T: Next weekend.
J: How long have you and your fiance been together?
T: A little over two years.
J: How did you two meet?
T: On the metra. She and I were sitting across from each other. I randomly struck up a conversation with her. It was the one day I was randomly taking the metra.
Ok, let's assume he's 100% telling the truth and this isn't a cute cover story for eharmony. I was just, in my mind, wondering if people met like this any more. I felt like 5-10 years ago, maybe, people pushed themselves to meet speak to strangers this way because it was one of the only ways to meet new people. However, with the existence of the internet, I wonder if people no longer stepped out of comfort zone in such a way. I suppose I must say, thank you, Tom, for answering this question.
Does anyone out there sometimes strike up a conversation with an attractive stranger? Does anyone else have a 'how we met' story like this that has taken place in the past three years?
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
2 comments:
My personal story occurred at the gym, but yes, stuff like this still does happen. The internet hasn't totally wiped out all human interaction...
Honestly that is how my best friend met her husband...on a park bench at a Polish festival. He asked her to dance. They suck :)
Post a Comment