Saturday, September 13, 2008

Something that Annoys Me....

One question that I HATE:  What kind of music do you like?

It's a staple of all first dates and random 'getting to know you' conversations.  It's the standard ice breaker for awkward silences with coworkers.  I NEVER ask people this question and I wish they would do the same for me.  I don't know why it annoys me so much, but it just does.  

Maybe it's that I can't quite classify my taste in music down to one genre like "country"; my answer to this question would be 'I like and dislike some artists and songs from every genre'.  I understand the purpose of this question is to see if one shares a specific favorite musician or song in common - but then why not just ask about specific artists or songs?!?!

That, and from my experience in group conversations - almost everyone gives the same response I do - some variation of  'a variety' and maybe names one artist or genre that he or she is partial to.  

Maybe a part of it is that I find it difficult to speak about music objectively since I have no background in it - I like the songs and artists I like because I like the way they sound, but I can't really say much more about it than that.  If someone wants to debate on the quality of an artist - I got nothin'.   

I'm sure those with training and experience in music can talk about how they hear influences of another artist in someone's work or the quality of guitar rifts - but I have nothing more than a superficial knowledge of music and I don't pretend otherwise.  

Am I alone on this?  I think I must be, because EVERYONE seems to ask this question.  Are people annoyed by the fact that everyone answers this question with some generic response?  I've taken to giving sarcastic unrealistic responses, such as "Christmas music" or "Well, I've always been a huge Barry Manilow fan".  

3 comments:

Christie said...

I just happened upon your blog.....

It isn't that this question annoys me so much as I do not know how to respond either. Just the same as this is a generic question, I now have a system standard response: "I like a little bit of everything but my favorite is synthpop".

Anonymous said...

i hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhate this question. sometimes my sarcastic responses garner 'actually, i do like country mixed with heavy metal with some tin drums, too' responses.

there is no winning. there is no right answer. and there is nothing worse than a music snob.

emily said...

I just say, "I only like the Sisqco thong song."

[Valid Atom 1.0]