Thursday, September 18, 2008

Halloween

So last year at my work, we were told we could 'dress up' for Halloween - in fact it was encouraged.   Let me tell you, there are limited, um, let's call them 'work appropriate' halloween costumes for women my age.   And that didn't stop some women I worked with from going all out....

Anyhow, it might not be easy to tell from the pictures, but I was Pam Beasley from NBC's "The Office".   I curled my hair and wore half of it back like she does and dressed in her typical garb (sweater, button down shirt, skirt).   It was quick, cheap, and to be quite frank - very last-minute.   

However, it was successful!  A good amount of people recognized and appreciated the costume.  Considering my actual job in my 'office' - it was what I like to call 'subtle humor'.  

Since I hadn't put much thought into the costume ahead of time - this year I was thinking of repeating 'the Pam', but putting more detail into it (maybe a Dunder Mifflin nametag - even though she doesn't wear that, maybe some keds a la the second season Dundies).  

However, another idea recently emerged.  There's another woman out there whom I could easily emulate with a few basic details (hair, makeup, clothing, etc.).  Another woman who would be familiar and could easily be appreciated by many.  I don't want to tip my cards too soon - however, I think a loyal blog reader could figure out the woman I have in mind.  

So, I'm leaving it up to you, dear reader - I'm hoping to get some votes.  Pam Beasley or the other choice?  Which would be better?  More interesting?  Less common?  I'd like to hear your opinion....  

6 comments:

Matt said...

Jaime, go for it. If Tina Fey could pull it off, so can you.

Courtney said...

Um - I am kind of offended that you borrowed my wardrobe and hairstyle to dress up for Halloween last year.

Jaime said...

those I work with who are used to me noticed my outfit being uncharacteristically conservative that day....

Tom said...

The Sarah Palin idea is a good one, and seems to fit your "girl crush." I think you may be one of the first women to think of this... but quite honestly (and I hate to break it to you), I think as Halloween gets closer a LOT of other women will think of this, and there'll be a bandwagon.

In fact, political figures of any sort are a general Halloween costume genre (think Bush, Clinton masks, Hillary, Condi Rice costumes, etc.), so I bet there will probably be merchandised Sarah Palin costumes. And really, Sarah Palin is the perfect way to merge two traditional costume concepts: the womens' slutty _______ [fill in the blank with anything, especially librarian in this case], and contemporary political figures.

So, I think you're on the cutting edge of this idea, Jaime; you're the first woman I know to think of it, it demonstrates your humor, and fulfills your crush. But I have a feeling you're going to and up being one of many, many Palins this year, and I'd hate for your original idea to be lost in a sea of copycats. You know, unless you wanted to start wearing it now, to get a jump on the other girls, and wear it all the way to Oct. 31. Then everyone would know you thought of it first. They'd probably make other assumptions, too...

Courtney said...

just because I am, doesn't mean that all librarians are slutty... haha.

Anonymous said...

Really like to get into Halloween because it's too fun to dress up.

[Valid Atom 1.0]