So, I'm very curious, my readers - what did you give up for Lent?
I gave up Catholic mandated traditions.
Someone in the past suggested I give up being judgmental for Lent. This doesn't work - I operate on the 'if it ain't broke' mentality.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
8 comments:
I, as I do every year, am giving up my New Year's resolution for Lent. I am also going to stop converting the amino acid Threonine into Alpha-ketobutyric acid via the enzyme Serine dehydratase. But don't worry, I went waaay overboard with the Alpha-ketobutyric acid on Fat Tuesday so I should be okay!!
i'm giving up swearing which, as you know, is very hard for me as every third word out of my mouth is degenerate and gives me tons of pleasure. It's been very hard going so far. I usually give up something that really will involve reconsideration of my actions and a commitment to being better. Mostly I'm fatigued and stressed out so far.
haha... I like Anonymous.... I heart nerdy pre-med kids!
For lent, I am not giving up something (a la... you aren't actually supposed to give something up, but choose something to work on for 40 days to make you more like Christ - kids are told to give something up so they get the concept). Instead, I am working on being nicer to my sister and less negative and complainy.
Courtney - you bring up an interesting point about how people are, instead, supposed to work on something and the giving something up is more an introductory concept for children. Someone should spread the word better on this one - I think I know some forty and fifty-somethings who gave up chocolate.
Anon - please translate into laments terms....
Sidenote:
Someone pointed out to me that it's 'layman's terms'. SORRY.
i have the same understanding of working towards being more christlike, but isn't it just easier perhaps to say "i'm giving up such and such?"
Perhaps because most people ask 'what are you giving up for lent?', it makes it easier to answer with something you give up... but isn't the problem in fact that the entire world thinks that Catholics have to 'give up' something for lent in the first place?
I don't do lent because I'm a godless heathen!
Post a Comment