Ok, I remember once seeing a trivia question about what is the most commonly misspelled everyday word...the correct answer (drumroll please):
DEFINITELY
I DEFINITELY agree with this assessment. I'll give people credit; it is a more difficult word. However. SERIOUSLY. It drives me NUTS every time I see it misspelled. Not because it's misspelled, but because of the alternative choices of spelling.
Definatly (has to be the most common). Definetly. Definately. Defiantly (different word but based on the context of the sentence, I knew what they meant...). Definitly (so close, but yet, SO far).
I am, secretly, a grammar snob, but I try not to be outward about it 1) because I find grammar snobs obnoxious and b) because then, the second I have the least of typos, I know it's going to be thrown back in my face.
A simple way to remember how to spell this word....it's DEFINITE with an LY on the end. Sounds overly simple, but I never really see definat, definet, etc. People don't seem to have trouble with the root word, so I dunno why it suddenly gets difficult when adding two letters. Anyhow.
Other grammar pet peeves out there? I DEFINITELY have a problem with the you're/your and to/too/two confusions. Any other horrible misspellings that I'm missing?
Monday, July 6, 2009
Misspelled Words....
Labels:
Annoyances,
Definitely,
Grammar,
Pet Peeves,
Piper,
Spelling,
you're/your
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
10 comments:
I try not to be pedantic about spelling, but sometimes things just got to me. As in the case with "rediculous". Ugh. Hate.
Also-its/it's
and of course the perennial favorite, your/you're
It really bothers me when Jaime is misspelled as Jamie, Jayme, Jami, Jaimie etc. Everyone should know the only way, the right way, the best way to spell it is Jaime.
Mine is 'good/well', but honestly -the fact that you think you are a 'secret' grammar-snob is laughable. There are a few words I consistently spell wrong - most of them are words that I forget are actually two: each other, all right, and there are others - sometimes it isn't worth bothering with... however, I DO usually put an (sp?) after a word if I am not sure I spelled it correctly.
oooh - I ALWAYS spell ridiculous wrong... ALWAYS
That's right - I just realized - you do always spell that wrong, Courtney!
So I guess I must exit the grammar snob closet...and here I thought I had a big secret on my hands. Call me Clay Aiken.
I am also somewhat of a spelling/grammar snob. I try to keep my comments to a minimum, but there are less excuses for poor spelling these days, what with Firefox underlining the misspelled words in red and all.
Anyways - I'm sure I could come up with an entire list of commonly misspelled words that piss me off, but it's late, and only one really jumps to mind right now: the bastardization of the word "congratulations" into "congradulations."
ohhhh no, was this post directed at ME?!?! I can't spell ANYTHING!
Oh yeah me two, I am defintly a total grammar snob!! Have these people never heard of spell cheek? It's ridiculus!!
Oh and Emily since you posted right above me, ever since you put the new quick fire comment thing on your blog, I am not allowed to post. It gives me some error message or something. (Was this intentional?) This is very frustrating as I have some very strong feeling about the muffin tops!!! If anyone reading this knows how to get in touch with Emily please let her know that anonymous can’t get past security!!!
Top 40 Grammar Pet Peeves
If you are grammatically challenged, or let’s face it, a grammatical snob who will catch the grammatical error in the title of this blog, you owe it to yourself to check out these grammatical pet peeves and tips at Top 40 Grammar Pet Peeves
Oh Mark! Touche! I'd be offended if this comment wasn't somewhat clever - I like to throw some extra periods into my ellipses on occasion (I realize there should only be four, three if it's in the middle of a sentence). I consider it my own personal creative touch. Way to call me out on it. Blush. Sometimes I start sentences with 'and'. That's my creativity at work, too. Heck, I just ended a sentence with 'and'. Oops, I did it again! Please come back to this blog - don't be a 'one comment stand', if you will.
Post a Comment