Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jerry Seinfeld Raises an Interesting Point

"When you're in your thirties, it's very hard to make a new friend. Whatever the
group is that you've got now, that's who you're going with. You're not
interviewing, you're not looking at any new people, you're not interested in
seeing any applications. They don't know the places. They don't know the food.
They don't know the activities. If I meet a guy in a club on the gym or
some place - I'm sure you're a very nice person, you seem to have a lot of
potential, but we're just not hiring right now.

Of course when you're a kid, you can be friends with anybody. Remember when you were a little kid what were the qualifications? If someone's in front of my house NOW, that's my friend! They're my friend. That's it. Are you a grown up? No. Great! Come on in. Jump up and down on my bed. And if you have anything in common at all, You like Cherry Soda? I like Cherry Soda! We'll be best friends!"

Generally speaking - am I the only one who agrees that making actual, serious friends in adulthood is pretty difficult? Feel free to mock me on this one, but I think I'm not alone. I'm not talking friends as in coworkers, aquaintances, etc., but serious friendships - people you voluntarily see regularly. People a person could call at 4 am. People who would drive you to the airport. People who would help a person move (....).

Anyhow. Is it just me? I feel like it's easy to drift apart/lose touch/have falling outs with people - but is it easy to acquire new people into the group. Also, people live in other parts of the country or are in different stages of their lives, so it's harder to stay close. I feel like I know a lot of people who have claimed they feel like they don't have many friends any more and that their significant other is one of the only people they spend time with. Is it difficult to keep/make friends during adulthood? Are everyone's groups of friends pretty much set? Your thoughts.

No comments:

[Valid Atom 1.0]