Sunday, January 10, 2010

Speed Dating

So, as most of my readers know, I'm single. I often times wonder if I wasn't single, where would I get a good 1/3 of my blogging material? Would this blog shut down? Or would a lot of my material switch over to bitching about my boyfriend?

Anyhow.

So I'm single, and naturally, everyone and his/her mother is losing sleep over this fact. (They should try a nice vino before bed. Or Ambien. But never both at once!!) I digress. So I'm single. And I just got 'facebook invited' to an event entitled 'speed dating'. You probably all know the gist....a bunch of single guys, a bunch of single girls, each get a couple minutes to chat, then rotate to the next - in essence, one meets a lot of other single people in a short period of time.

Now, at heart, I think there's a very good idea here. However, the one gripe I noticed - $35 for one night!?! Really? REALLY? Now, don't get me wrong - it's not that I find this expensive....it's moreso that I don't know that I'm that interested in attending this event alone and paying this much for it. Are any of my single female friends living in the city of Chicago up for this? Do I have any single female friends living in the city of Chicago? I feel I could possibly walk away with some good blogging material....

Your thoughts? Anyone want to accompany me to speed dating? Anyone out there tried speed dating? Is speed dating worthwhile? Better/worse than online dating? (Editor's Sidenote: I hold George Costanza's view on dating/relationships. That sentence in and of itself oozes with problems. However, I've blogged about this before - George basically says if there's not a good meeting story, the relationship is shot to shit. I know plenty of happy people in happy relationships who can contradict him, however, I'm maintaining this view - for myself and my own life, at least - on this one.)

4 comments:

That's Not My Name said...

I wouldn't put a lot of hope into finding someone worthwhile, but it could be fun. I'd do it if I were single, just for kicks. And it would definitely be good blogging material! Does that $35 include any food or drinks?

emily said...

does that $35 include a restraining order?


Ps-i do speed dating all the time...it's called riding the bus to work...."no...no...definitely NO."

jk. i play sudoku on the way to work.

Ai yi yi said...

Yep, I have speed dated twice. The first time I met a girl :) We joked around about all the guys going from table to table and we are still friends now. I of course didn't meet my soulmate there, but I had a ton of fun. I think someone social like you would as well :)

The Real Anonymous said...

Okay, this has given me an awesome idea!!! You take your date to a speed date! Huge chance of success here, she gets to meet 65 losers in 15 minutes and realizes that you're not that bad after all or one or both of you find someone at the speed date that you like more than the person you came with and get an instant date upgrade. Where else does that happen? If they meet someone they like more than you and you are left all alone hey you got 65 backups waiting in the wings. And if none of them tickle your fancy there is always next week! And how great of a meeting story is “on our first date we went to speed date!” I’m really thinking the pros are outweighing the cons here! I have to try this!!!

[Valid Atom 1.0]