Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Does Absence Make the Heart Grow Fonder?

So, a little bit ago, my good friend Jeannine wrote a piece that she requested be posted as a guest-post.  Jeannine is an avid blog reader and commenter.  Also, often times throughout the day, I will email her being like 'uhh, what should I blog about'.  One day, she had an opinion on the expression 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'.  I thought it was quite blog-worthy because it fit the theme of this blog pretty nicely.  Here is her piece: I have made some small edits:


Absence does NOT make the heart grow fonder - because absence makes me think of all the random 'Omg! I just have to tell ___ about this!" moments; all the things you used to do together and whatever.

It doesnt make you go 'awww, I miss them!'  Well, it does for a second.  But then it makes you go 'that f****** a******!  Why is s/he so shady??  We totally could be sharing in this funny little moment right now.  But because they are a total f*****, we are not. 

I hate this about them, and this, and this.   And they never did this.  And why do all this stupid, weird, shady stuff.   What is that supposed to mean?  You suck.  I hate you.
Absence makes the heart grow to hate you.

Editor's sidenote:  Needless to say, Jeannine is a little more emotional and dirty-mouthed than I am.  

I think she had a good point, however, about the moments you think of something that makes you think of someone who is not there, and how he or she would totally appreciate the moment.  In somewhat recent history, there was a period of time when Jeannine and I were not speaking, and one of our mutual friends said something, ahem, lovably ridiculous.  I was rather frustrated I couldn't contact her on this matter to laugh at said situation.  It made me also wonder if there are times when some others out there had perhaps, saw something, thought of me, but couldn't/didn't say anything to me for one reason or another.

What are your thoughts?  Does absence make the heart grow fonder, or angrier, as Jeannine suggests?  

4 comments:

Andre said...

this blog post is so random. So typical Jeannine. And NO absence does NOT make the heart grow fonder

Ai yi yi said...

If you best friend or boyfriend had to move away for work or you guys did not want to be separate, then yes it does make the heart grow fonder. When you are around someone to much, they get on your nerves. HOWEVER, missing a boyfriend and it is their fault for the break up: absence could not be more annoying or frustrating. Great Blog.

Jeannine said...

good point ellen!
absence definitely makes my heart fonder of you girls. :)

Anonymous said...

IMO - It totally does! My boyfriend is in training for the Army and I can say I miss him more each day. We talk on a regular basis and I find myself loving him even more as we have more meaningful conversations because we know that it won't last for long. It makes the short times we have together even more precious. I'm looking forward to the day that him and I get to be in the same state again, knowing that our relationship will be stronger for being able to survive distance.

[Valid Atom 1.0]