
Ok, so two good friends brought up the subject of the book "The Secret" this past week. I OBVIOUSLY can't resist revisiting it.
Ok, so I have some definite problems with the book/way of thinking, which I have outlined before in multiple posts, I know. However, to summarize briefly - I have three main problems with the book. 1) The notion that an individual has that level of control over one's own life. 2) The absurd, arbitrary, ridiculous suggestions it makes as realistic steps toward achieving one's goals (i.e. writing fake checks to oneself at a time one wants to better her own financial situation). 3) The notion that the above suggestions actually work.
I won't get into it any further. I already have more than enough.
Also, a several good friends have mentioned to me they've heard critiques similar to mine from various other sources - such as radio commentators, Amazon reviews, etc. So my campaign is working. I guess a combination of a couple things happened: 1) People who think 'The Secret' is a load of crap got the courage to speak up and come forward. 2) People who originally bought into 'The Secret' have reconsidered and reanalyzed the situation. 3) People tried 'The Secret' and it didn't work (look at the general state of the country SINCE 'The Secret' has been on the bestseller list. I rest my case.)
However - there is something I agree with about The Secret. I agree with the idea of envisioning the life you want. I agree with the notion that actually believing something can happen for you is an important step toward the goal. So maybe I will take that away from this book for 2009; everything happens for a reason, and I didn't waste a couple hours of my life reading this book for nothing. :)
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
4 comments:
the secret works, without a doubt.
I doubt it.
I like the secret because it gives people hope...and also makes them less crabby.
So does eating ice cream.
Post a Comment