Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Don't Get It....



Since when did this become the universal 'on button'? I don't know if I understand what this symbol means. Yes, I realize it's the 'on/off' switch on almost all electronic gizmos. But why? a circle with a line through it? Someone please advise. Thanks.

4 comments:

emily said...

I can't advise. I thought the titantic sank in the 1400s.

The is the first time I really stared at the icon. It's kinda weird looking. What I want to know is when did putting your hands in a shape of a heart (instead of a peace sign) become popular. What I'm TRYING to make popular is putting your hands in the shape of the titanic. I know it's just a matter of days before it takes off.

Tom said...

I can't give you any sort of answer on this one, but I thought this was an incredibly astute, random, and entertaining observation, Jaime.

That's Not My Name said...

It's based on binary code. | in binary means on. 0 means off. The symbol on your devices means that the button is capable of turning the device both on and off.
So when you press the button to turn the device on, that means that the | button is activated. And when you press the button to turn it off, the 0 is activated.
It actually makes a lot of sense if you consider the idea that electronics in their most basic sense are on/off machines.
This symbol has been around since the 70s, according to Wikipedia.

Jaime said...

Great job Piper - I expected no less from you!

[Valid Atom 1.0]