Friday, September 4, 2009

Health Care



So there has been a rampant facebook status over the past couple days:

"No one should die because they (sic) can't afford healthcare and no one should go broke because they (sic) get sick."

It is posted mostly by people in regards to the debate over the debate over universal healthcare (presumably coming from those in favor of a government-run healthcare system).

I have a couple issues with it (grammatical issues aside). Now, I am not sure where I stand on the issue of universal healtcare. And, I am in 100% agreement that our current healthcare system needs some serious help.

However.

This is a blatantly over-simplified statement to appeal to emotion that is impossible to argue. Is anyone out there going to say 'no, people should die because they can't afford healthcare?' No one should die because he or she can't afford food, and that happens somewhat regularly. This statement doesn't argue the merits of whether or not a universal healthcare system would actually work.

That, and I feel this largely discounts a simple fact: good healthcare is expensive. Good, qualified doctors are not easy to come by. Medical school is expensive, and, more importantly, a large, taxing time commitment. There has to be some form of a reward (i.e. a decent salary that will, at the very least, one day pay off the debt accrued) in order for enough qualified individuals to follow through with it. Medical supplies and machines are expensive. Medicine itself is expensive. Sure, there may be some 'price gouging', if you will, but at the base of it all, there's still a decent cost to everything.

Now, if everyone in America is going to have good healthcare, the money to cover these costs is going to have to come from somewhere. Whether it be each individual, employers, the government, or someone else entirely is quite the debate. However, if it is the government, simply, the money is going to have to come from somewhere (read: a large tax). Whether or not that is the only right way to go is another debate entirely. Another thing to consider - despite how many people there are in America without health insurance right now, it is not easy to get into the doctor's office. I am definitely all for everyone having health insurance, however, we are going to need more qualified individuals in the healthcare field when this happens. Anyhow - the bottom line - the idea that we could possibly get 'free healthcare from the government' is simply an illusion.

I know this is one of those boring posts that no one likes or is interested in - sorry. Anyhow.

3 comments:

That's Not My Name said...

I think it was a good post. That facebook status thing was annoying. I agree with a lot of the things that you have articulated. I'm not sure what waiting for a doctor's appointment has to do with health insurance though.
All I will say is that I am the child of (at least one) European socialist. So I don't really see the big deal with taxes. Why are we so comfortable with paying for schools,roads, fire protection, police, etc, but not health care?
One of the reasons health care is so expensive is because the uninsured go to hospitals-and they don't pay. So we end up footing the bill for all of those people. At least, that is what my limited understanding of the issue is.
I don't really think that this Obamacare will change much for me anyway. I am sick of the whole debate and I wish they would resolve it.

Angelique said...

good, thought provoking post. kudos

Jaime said...

Thank you friends.

What I meant by 'waiting for a doc appointment' - is that, for me personally, it sometimes takes a while to get a doc appointment because the office is so busy. This is assuming that there are a lot of people who aren't even going to the doctor now because they don't have health insurance.

If everyone were to have health care, I'm assuming the doctor's offices are going to get even busier. That, and people aren't going to be shy about going to the doctor for each and every concern. I'm not saying that either of these are bad things, per se, or that we should leave some individuals uninsured to alleviate this potential problem, but upon getting everyone insured, something is going to need to be done to bring more good, qualified individuals into the field of medicine, or something to that extent.

[Valid Atom 1.0]