Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Abercrombie & Fitch

Whatever happened to Abercrombie & Fitch?  I know the store is still out there because I see it at all the major malls.  Is it still popular?  Is it still expensive?  Is it still making sales despite the economy?  I feel like I don't see their clothes walking around on people much - maybe it's that they changed their style.  Maybe it's that I'm no longer in high school.  I don't know.  Maybe the company was started by some wealthy individual and isn't necessarily intended for profit - someone just enjoys keeping it running, even if it ends up in the red.  Does anyone know?

4 comments:

That's Not My Name said...

It was in the news a while ago that they have been losing a lot of money, and may have been on the verge of bankriptcy but I think they have recovered slightly.

And yeah, I think it's your age. High school kids definitely still wear it, and middle school kids do as well. It's not as cool as it used to be though, and I think competition from other places has greatly reduced their cache.

A & F is actually an old brand-they really have been around since 1892. They used to sell sporting goods and outdoorsy types of clothes. One of my mom's friends remembers wearing it in the 50s. They were purchased by Limited brands in the 80s I think, and then they changed their focus.

Also, A&F is not as popular as it used to be because a lot of stories have come out about their discriminatory hiring practices.

That's Not My Name said...

ahh I hate typos that I can't fix!

That's Not My Name said...

Oh, and their style is still exactly the same and hasn't really changed at all. It's kind of like they cycle through the same things-jeans, flannel shirts, tank tops, short skirts, etc.

Jaime said...

Speaking of, I remember back in high school they mentioned their products on some very old M*A*S*H rerun my dad was watching. I found it hilarious.

[Valid Atom 1.0]