Monday, October 25, 2010

Something I Wish I Knew More About...

...web design, computers, technology, html (whatever that is), C++ (again), javascript (i like coffee), programming, etc.  Is there anywhere in the Chicagoland area to take a class on this?  Just basic stuff.  You know, like 'for dummies', if you will?  I have tried to research this matter and I've been unsuccessful in my findings (some might suggest I would need a class in researching matters on the internet, but those who know me decently might disagree).  Can anyone help?

3 comments:

Matt said...

Believe it or not, these are all really, really different things.

Web design is more about how information is displayed, color palettes, etc.

HTML is the code behind the web pages you view. It's not really programming, it's more of way to format text, boxes and data on a web page.

C++ is a programming language that's used to write stand alone programs that you might run on your computer outside of a web browser.

javascript is also a programming language, but it's often used in conjunction with HTML to make your web page more interactive. For instance, it javascript can be used to add functions that might sort a table or list on a web page.

You can take courses on this sort of stuff at any community college, but the internet is full of free information too.

I'd pick up something that is HTML related first, and once you get a handle on that, maybe branch out to others.

Tricia said...

Jamie - let me know if you decide to take a class. I used to be a programming geek but want a refresher, especially with web coding. Let's talk Geek over Halloween.

Jaime said...

ooh yes! i am psyched to 'talk geek' - it's like a native tongue!

[Valid Atom 1.0]