Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Barackstar

Ok, not to rant and rave FOREVER, but Barack Obama has not yet even been inaugurated yet and how many different keepsakes are there out there for sale?  I'm watching an infomercial for a Barack Obama commemorative plate.  SERIOUSLY!?!?!  That's not to mention dvds, posters, special editions of newspapers, etc.  I can't help but wonder if Barack Obama doesn't come through with some of his campaign promises (such as 'change'), there'll be millions of pieces of memorabilia for the Republicans to rub his face in?  

4 comments:

Angelique Zobitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelique Zobitz said...

I hesitate to mention this, but I'm quite sure that had hiliary won the white house, there'd be an unauthorized informerical also hawking her likeness on a decorative plate. It has less to do with his rock star status so much as it being a historic moment, which I think would also be true if Hiliary won...I'm pretty sure tons of Catholics and people who just plain though JFK was new politics or dreamy or whatever bought tons of memorabilia. I grew up with a picture of him in my household (I think because he was Catholic and about progressive politics). My family loved Jimmy Carter too but guess what no pictures. So I think it might have something to do with historic moments and not so much rockstarness. Had Hiliary won, I probably would have bought something to commemorate that historic event so I can show later generations to say I witnessed it. Just my observation.

Jaime said...

Don't get me wrong - I do find the historic nature of his candidacy (being the first African American president) to be something worth commmemorating. I agree that there'd be some buzz about Hillary, although not as much - I think Barack (and JFK's) je ne sais quo charisma/something or other that helps throw a little fuel on the fire. That, and although I do understand the commemorating - I think perhaps there's been a little bit of overload.

Courtney said...

Everything 'Barack' keeps getting stolen from the library... how ridiculous is that?

[Valid Atom 1.0]