Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dating 101

So, I have a question in regards to dating:

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, you meet someone who asks for your number.  Then, said individual asks you to have drinks or dinner or attend some event with him (or her).  It's most definitely a 'date', if you will, not something under the guise of 'catching up' or what have you.

Now, I'm not talking a gender issue of what a man should do for a woman - I'm talking one person most definitely asks the other person to have drinks or dinner with him (again, or her).   So let's say you were the person who was asked out - when the check comes, what is protocol?  Do you, the askee, offer to pay for yourself?  Are you possibly offending the person by doing so  (by somehow implying 'this is NOT a date')?  Is it rude not to offer?  Is a half-hearted offer worthless?  (I personally kind of think so - it's a little obvious.)  Is there a good way to offer?  What does one say?

For a first date, I can never figure out what to do.   Dear blog readers - what do you think?  

3 comments:

Matt said...

I'm going to merge a couple of thoughts into one. The first is, "Where's a good place for a first date" and the second is, "who pays?"

I think it's of paramount importance that first dates make an early exit easy to pull off. To me, that implies drinks (coffee, cocktail, whatever your fancy.)

Drinks after work also ensures the total bill shouldn't be more than $20.

Any guy who's older than 14, regardless of how the date was initiated, should be able to cover $20. If he doesn't (or worse, can't afford to), BE AWARE!

As the woman, you get the privilege of ignoring the check when it comes. It's okay to faux open your purse and ask to split it, to which the response should always be (100% of the time!) "Oh no, don't worry about it. I'll cover this one." If that's not the response, then for there mere price of 2 hours and $10, you filtered out someone who's not classy enough to date you in the future.

You're fortunately past the awkward high school years and everybody-is-poor college years. The men you should be dating should have access to $20 and the generosity to pay for the first date. Every time.

Jaime said...

Love love LOVE the boldface font Matt - A plus effort to get your point across. I like where your head is on this one.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with matt - that was very well put.

[Valid Atom 1.0]