So, my girlfriends and I have, at times, discussed going to see a psychic as a fun group activity. We would not be willing to put out any large chunk of cash for it and we would, of course, take things with a grain of salt. I am curious - has anyone out there gone to one before? I had a coworker once who regularly went to one - she used to drop 'my psychic' like 'my hairstylist' or 'my dentist'. I know some people put a good amount of faith in them.
However, I do know the typical scams - a lot of time they will put out a very general statement (someone you care about is undergoing a health issue - or - you are currently second-guessing your career choice - or - there is someone close to you with a name that starts with [insert common letter, such as S or T, here]).
Then a person will say 'well....' and start providing the psychic with some personal information that she can then make some more specific 'predictions' on. Also, people will often find ways to make the psychic's general statements apply to their own lives - so it will seem more effective than it actually is.
That being said, I am still a little intrigued. I felt my handwriting analysis (in a previous blog) was pretty accurate and I did not provide her with any information. Has anyone gone to a (cheap) psychic before?
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
4 comments:
Jaime,
I definitely have an opinion on this. I think that it's really important to keep in mind a fair amount of logic when involving psychics. As I sometimes do, I'll need to preface this with that my opinion comes from a Christian perspective.
First I'd like to make the point that I think its completely possible for people to know the future or know about events that are yet to come. As a Christian, I have seen the future foretold by numerous prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, David, etc.) throughout the Bible. All of these people were spoken to directly by God to share messages of history-altering proportions with the people.
In the Bible there's also a story of a fortune teller in Acts 16:13-40. This slave woman was possessed by a demon and told the future and made money for her owners. Interestingly, she couldn't deny that Paul and other new Christians at the time were, "servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation."
I mention these two examples of divine and demonic knowledge to clarify my perspective:
I'm okay with the idea of people who can tell future, but there are only three types:
1. Those who make it up.
2. Those with divine power from God
3. Those who have some sort of demonic power.
The only one I would personally be interested in speaking with would be the second (true prophetic). That person isn't going to be charging me and my friends $50 for a half hour to talk, and they're certainly not going to be talking with me about my love life, my future job, or anything else like that.
From a logic perspective, I think that you'd really need to ask the question to a psychic: How do you have your ability? How did it develop? Obviously, people don't have this ability naturally - so the psychic better be able to explain it supernaturally.
If you find a good one, count me in. I need help from any source I can get! :)
I actually planned to go to one time, but she was trying to charge me $50?! I thought even to predict my future, that was a little steep. I work with Motorola and one thing she couldn't have predicted was how much of splash the Krave is making!
R.
When I read your post the first thing I thought was... I am SURE Matt has an opinion about this, haha... I feel like his opinion might be the same as when I start to discuss my being a total Pisces.
It is still fun to think about and see how it fits, but you can't take it totally seriously. If you can get it cheap enough - I'd totally do it, especially if the woman is going to tell me that my bike is in the basement of the Alamo.
Post a Comment