It seems so far away...we'll be in our mid 30s by the time this thing comes around. I can't think that far into the future. I can't imagine the stuff that will have to happen with construction and planning and money and it just makes my head spin. Oh well, I guess we'll know tomorrow! Right now, I am torn between indifference, annoyance, and a little bit of excitement.
The olympics are widely regarded as the biggest spectacle in the world. What fish is bigger?
And sorry to inconvenience you, what with the potential parking hassles, tourists, crowds and construction. However, these are not new issues to Chicago residents. People who don't want to deal with these "problems" have already built entire communities to avoid these things. Move to the suburbs.
Your concern on financing the olympics is somewhat legitimate. Tax increases (if any) would likely fall on the shoulders of businesses, not through the individual income tax.
Taxes on businesses affect everyone - if a business has to pay a larger tax, the money has to get moved from somewhere in the budget and it might mean a couple jobs.
Yes, parking, crowds, etc. are a daily issue for Chicagoans anyway. However, as you said, with the biggest spectacle in the world, it'll be multiplied by 100.
I've heard that when the Olympics were in Atlanta back in '96, during the years prior, multiple major businesses had to rent offices out in suburbia because of areas being closed down for construction, etc. I do not want to deal with this.
If there's a positive return on investment for this event, I'm all for it, but I'm uncertain there will be.
8 comments:
what?!?! why? because of parking?
It seems so far away...we'll be in our mid 30s by the time this thing comes around. I can't think that far into the future. I can't imagine the stuff that will have to happen with construction and planning and money and it just makes my head spin. Oh well, I guess we'll know tomorrow!
Right now, I am torn between indifference, annoyance, and a little bit of excitement.
Your opinion is noted for the record. Your reasoning is not.
Reasoning:
--Parking
--Tourists
--Crowds
--Construction
--Taxes (how much are they gonna go up to fund this bad boy?!?!)
...and, well, generally speaking - I love this fine city as much as anyone, but quite frankly, we've got bigger fish to fry....
will i still be alive in 2016? I'll be like 80.
The olympics are widely regarded as the biggest spectacle in the world. What fish is bigger?
And sorry to inconvenience you, what with the potential parking hassles, tourists, crowds and construction. However, these are not new issues to Chicago residents. People who don't want to deal with these "problems" have already built entire communities to avoid these things. Move to the suburbs.
Your concern on financing the olympics is somewhat legitimate. Tax increases (if any) would likely fall on the shoulders of businesses, not through the individual income tax.
Taxes on businesses affect everyone - if a business has to pay a larger tax, the money has to get moved from somewhere in the budget and it might mean a couple jobs.
Yes, parking, crowds, etc. are a daily issue for Chicagoans anyway. However, as you said, with the biggest spectacle in the world, it'll be multiplied by 100.
I've heard that when the Olympics were in Atlanta back in '96, during the years prior, multiple major businesses had to rent offices out in suburbia because of areas being closed down for construction, etc. I do not want to deal with this.
If there's a positive return on investment for this event, I'm all for it, but I'm uncertain there will be.
You got your wish! No Olympics for you!
Post a Comment