So I like American Idol. Guilty pleasure, I know. There are many worse guilty pleasures in life, I suppose. Some of my friends and family classify me as the "Simon Cowell" type. (I'm not going to stop to explain who Simon Cowell is, for I know all of you, regardless of whether or not you've seen the show, know.) People can criticize me for it, however, when people want an HONEST opinion, they come to me - all my friends and family will vouch for this.
I like to think I'm not AS brutal and I would never want to hurt another person - but I have no hesitation to tell a friend NOT to buy a sweater because I don't like it or not to date a guy because he's clearly not that into her and just out to jerk her around (if only everyone ALWAYS listened to my advice - I should vent to Simon; I know he feels the same grief).
Now, I do think it's important to not hurt friends and loved ones' feelings. However, I think sometimes reality hurts too - and I think that it's better to hurt now than later. If a little honestly now can prevent a big hurt later - it's worth it. Maybe not in preventing a friend from a bad sweater - but in helping a friend avoid a much bigger mistake. And if someone asks for an opinion - what service does it do to give a sugar-coated 'it's ok, it all depends, i don't really know the whole situation, it's hard to say'? People are asking for an opinion for a reason - sometimes they want someone to confirm what is already somewhere deep down in their gut and heart that they are afraid to face.
Some will criticize me for being Simon - but I like to think I serve a purpose; I am necessary. Hey, it's better than being Paula.
![Validate my Atom 1.0 feed [Valid Atom 1.0]](valid-atom.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment